2019 is here. Whether you are a resolutions person or not, here are 10 commitments I am making for the new year as we continue our pursuit of church planting in Los Angeles.
1) Maintain a daily rhythm in God’s Word and prayer, ever increasing in applying his Word to everyday life.
2) Maintain a weekly rhythm of fasting with two extended fasts per year.
3) Memorize more Scripture and make it a habit - beginning with the book of Philippians.
4) Give 15% of our income to the local church and missionaries around the world, working toward 20%.
5) Grow in evangelism, turning it into a daily endeavor in regular conversation. To speak of Jesus as though I know him intimately. (Melissa and I are praying specifically for God to use us in saving 5 people this year).
6) Institute a bi-monthly or quarterly rhythm of silence and solitude - a retreat day specifically for fasting and prayer.
7) Institute a family rhythm engaging in mercy and justice, caring for the poor and marginalized in our neighborhood.
8) Choose an Unreached People Group that we can personally commit time, finances, resources, and energy toward seeing reached with the gospel.
9) Put the phone down, especially in evenings and weekends around my kids.
10) Treasure Jesus above any ministry position or church planting vision/strategy.
“Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name.” (Psalm 86:11)